Friday, April 21, 2017

Mast Removal, Haul Out, Gel Coat Patching, Shenanigans

We haven't yet actually inspected the top of the mast, and there was  a bit of cabin top compression under the mast base so the only thing to do was to have it taken down.  We took down the mast ourselves on a Grampian 26, which has a hinged mast base and is relatively light. That was bad enough so we went over to Bay Boatworks and they were quite professional.  They were able to lift it straight up and off the boat quite seamlessly, and it's now in storage over there.

Haul out went pretty smoothly as well, which was a nice surprise. The only trick was using the wash down area for the power washing, which added a lot of sling time to the process and I didn't enjoy that in the least.  But she's out, mast less, and comfortably sitting on her jack stands now.  I'm working furiously on the brightwork, trying to get the old gross cetol sanded off and re-coated.  Where I've finished it does look mighty fine.  I re-caulked where needed, but the more I look around the more I see that what i really should have been doing was re-caulking the teak decks. Just thinking about taping that off makes me nauseous.


She looks so small without the rig up.  

Riding the slings 


Phew, on the stands.  


Teak with Cetol vs. the old cetol with a lot of flaking and exposed gray wood. 


Just a close up of some of the impressive joinery.  


I got some two part paint on gelocoat -- there are a hundred or so little chips that go down to the fiberglass. I probably didn't have to do this but it made me feel better to fill them in.  


No comments:

Post a Comment

First Blog Entry

First Blog Entry: August 12, 2015: Love at First Sight